Monday, March 14, 2011

Ugh

Well, I can't say we didn't 'expect' it...our doctor has been quite clear on the chances we have of winning the battle of a recurrent staph infection in Gage's left ci...so when we finished meds last week, it only took 2 days for the school to be calling me saying he had removed his left processor due to pain. I had them give him some of his Tylenol til I could get to him. There were no other symptoms at that point (Thurs) and he did his news thing the morning after. He needed ibuprofen all weekend for pain around his ci and he even was itching last night so I did give him some benedryl also. He took off his processor each day over the weekend because it bothered him.

This morning he woke up fine-no problems but that is quite common-it comes and goes for a while til it decides to hurt for good, forcing removal of the device. We go in for mapping tomorrow-Gage has a friend spending the night with him so he'll be going along with us too, he'll get to see how it all works. We go see the surgeon on March 29 which gives this problem time to either develop more or disappear completely and at that point, we'll either decide to wait-should he not have any issues for the next 2 weeks-or keep our semi-scheduled removal surgery in April. I want my child healthy so parting with a device that is causing him pain will not be that hard to do. We will update later as more develops in this mystery.
Whatever happens, I am determined he has a great birthday coming up in May! He's been through so much-he just needs to catch a break! This will be like his 3rd or 4th O.R. trip this school year if he has to go back (at least I think so-I am losing track!)

3 comments:

ann said...

I love you Gage. I'll be there to help ya'll out.

Danielle said...

good luck.Stay positive and I really hope things turn out to be fine. He is such a strong boy!

Lucas'Mommy said...

Thinking about you guys....