Friday, August 6, 2010

Depressing news

As if B's last HINT (hearing in noise test) wasn't bad enough, my oldest child who has had four cochlear implant surgeries already, could still face another in his future. His right ear which is holding it's one and only ci (so far) which was inserted just over a year ago, isn't pulling its weight anymore. He has 10 electrodes turned off currently. He loves hearing and has loved being bilateral but this could cause major difficulty for him in the classroom so I will have to check his sounds (many babble sounds) several times a week to note any changes ASAP. Here you'll find where I explained more about electrodes in non tech terms. You know Mama's just concerned. I have no idea how long we have to use what we have before replacing it becomes an option. Put it this way, when she cut him back on after mapping both ears, he said, "Yea, sounds normal" and she had to TELL HIM that he was only hearing from left (good) side. She had not turned rt one on at all and he still said he could not tell he was only using left so I'm guessing he has been really focusing or really using his left ear primarily for the last few weeks, so much so, he didn't notice the right anymore and it seems right is doing him little good. More later...

But on a good note, I did manage to make it to the Top 5 of the Huntsville division of Examiner.com . Be sure to keep a check on it HERE or just subscribe to the articles. I was gonna write one today but I'm gonna mope instead. I'll be more in the mood tomorrow when all this has sunk in.

2 comments:

PolyglotMom said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Val. I hope that everything works out. I just subscribed to your articles!!!

rouchi6 said...

I hope all is well Val,I feel awful for u and him.I just pray all is ok. keep us posted we prayor u both.