Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm Not Giving In

Ugh! So I'm telling myself that I'm not giving in. I've stuck it out this long for the sole purpose of advocating that my children have every right to ride the bus home! However, every...single...day... they get off the bus angry and in pure misery. The noise level alone is enough to set a hearing impaired child over the edge from time to time. However, yesterday, Gage came came home wearing one processor. He says an older kid ripped it off his head (they are taped on!). Almost everyday they complain of kids getting in their face and screaming....(are we making fun of the deaf kids perhaps?) Well, I decided that since I'm home for now anyway, I'll just go pick them up. Should I actually work from time to time and not be able to pick them up, I'll send a note for them to ride the bus then....but for now, I don't think they are ready (the bus drivers, my children, nor me either!) I've tried to get the kids to handle the smaller issues themselves and I've already called the very first week they rode and it's no better, but technically there is no reason for them to ride right now anyway.

In other news, my sister in law gets a big woop woop today! I get a text that says, "There is a bilateral boy here at the doc's office, know him?" and come to find out it was the little boy I've been blogging about at Bama Ears, click here to read their latest entry! But my sister in law gets big props for even knowing and correctly using the term bilateral!!! Go Christie!


We are down to one week (next Friday) and Gage will have his little surgery...getting the extra skin removed from his jaw line, not very noticeable but a nuisance. And the day before on Thur. we go to the psychologist about ADHD.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Val, this behavior is upsetting and not acceptable at all. It is called "bullying" and your precious children do not deserve this treatment. My "shackles" are up because I know what it is like to be ridiculed and made fun of as a child and teenager. Makes me sad, too, at the same time.

Please report this to the school board or authorities, even if you have to go to the police as a last resort. It should be reported so it doesn't happen to other children. I'd even call the parents.

Keep us posted. Your children have the right to ride the bus.

Carmen said...

hi Val,
I guess it's about finding the balance between letting them solve their own problems and protecting them...I agree with you, I would also take them to school if this is a possibility but as Laurie said, it sounds to me like bullying is going on and that is not acceptable. I would report it and continue teaching your kids how to advocate for themselves. You are such a great mom and a great example for so many of us...

lbre969903 said...

Just how anyone could not be nice 2 those adorable country kids is beyond me :) I am so sorry you & the kids are having issues. I do think this should be documented with the school and in their records. I hope it does get better!

leah said...

That behavior is absolutely unacceptable! I know larger metropolitan areas often put video cameras on the buses to monitor the children and to keep their behavior in line.

Bullying is something that can't be "worked out" by the victims. I'd be taking these little guys to school, too- no kindergartener should have to face that kind of treatment! If they ever ride the bus again, there needs to be an adult bus monitor to oversee the behavior of the children on board. Obviously the entire bus is quite unruly and dangerous for all children on board, in addition to your own two precious kids.

Nicole said...

How awful!!! I'm so sorry to hear their are being subjected to such behavior. I would call and report it and call the school board. I would also call the parents of these kids. The behavior might come to a stop if they parents knew they would be paying for broken processors....

tammy said...

This breaks my heart and irritates the s&*t out of me! Sounds like some definite bullying is going on here and most school districts have a no tolerance policy for it - and bus time is usually considered "school time". Some of our "trouble" buses had an administrator ride on them a few times, had seating charts, and silent rides home because of bullying behavior, and if it continued, the kids suffered consequences at school and/or were kicked off the bus, then their parents had to take and pick them up! Like Laurie said, your children have their rights!

This has always been my biggest fear since day one. Kids can be so cruel. Keep us posted on how things work out.

Shehuntstoo said...

grrr...Jesse had a kid do this on the bus every so often...I still can not wrap my brain around the why of it. One of those that you gotta work out the best way for your family too. With ya on this one Val!