Friday, August 22, 2008

Chicken a la AVT !!!


So when my little domestic queen wanted to help with dinner, I don't think, oh what a mess Instead I think "okay, sure" I'm always looking for opportunities to pack in a few vocab words or a listening exercise (usually I incorporate both). So here Brook had to listen for commands w/several elements like "put the smallest slice of tomatoe on Gage's plate" and I did prep her beforehand w/things like "Daddy's plate has the most chicken" I also worked in things like "Put macaroni n cheese on everyone's plate except mine" That one she missed because she was unsure of the word EXCEPT. When I corrected her after she put a spoonful on my plate, she responded with "you said, sept!" I then had the chance to explain what except actually meant, so bonus vocab word! You can make it as hard or as easy as you need. If you're working on colors and numbers you could use different colored plates (like my kids use) and say, "put two orange slices on the blue plate and four on the orange plate"...etc. So with five minutes of specific instructions, you can see how easy it is to fit in some pre dinner AVT.

5 comments:

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

always workin' it girl!

tammy said...

Love this lesson! I'll have to try this with my hearing kids ... maybe it'll make them want to help more! : )

BTW ... holy huge snake!

Karen Putz said...

And now you have to teach her to cook for you! :)

Steven said...

Greeting! Nice to "meet" you too. For some reason, I don't think we met before? Didn't you went Huntsville before? Maybe eat Bruster's Ice cream? Anyway, it was unbelievable that the summer is end already and I had to go back to the college in the north. I am very delight to take speech/audio therapy real soon. I'll keep post up my blog monthly.

rouchi6 said...

good lesson!will try with prisha.
rouchi
impemp@blogspot.com