Saturday, November 1, 2008

You Can't Do That With Hearing Kids


As I make my way to the coffee pot this morning, before sun up, I hear a shuffle sound in Gage's bedroom. As I get closer I can see thru the cracked open door my child has his head buried in his candy sack from last night's Halloween events. As I pour my cup of coffee, in the dark, relying only on my hearing to tell me when my cup is full...he opens his door and exits holding his guitar. He walks over to the implant center and extract his ci, which he normally doesn't put on immediately, but this morning, he had to write a song. So he goes into the living room which was fashioned by soft glows, illuminated from last night's glow sticks. He sits and begins to strum his guitar, which this time, actually sounded like Alice In Chains. As I continued my morning routine, I can again thank last night's sugar overdose to the early awakening of my beautiful little girl, who assured me she was just getting up to get her baby. She walked into the living room, got her baby and walked back to her room, with nothing but a computer screen and glow sticks to guide her. Gage, strumming away on his guitar right beside her, in the dark, she never even knew he was there. She in fact asked me "where's Gage?" as he violently strummed the guitar behind her. I assured her she needed to go back to bed til daylight, and she did....
for about two minutes...lol. Bet ya couldn't do that with a hearing kid. I will keep you informed on the release date of Gage's new single.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

How funny! Can't wait to hear all about Gage's musical talent!

My brother had/has "perfect pitch" and couldn't read music. He could listen to ANY tune and play it immediately on the piano. Sadly, though, his hearing loss has gotten progressively worse and cannot hear well enough to play anymore. I'm trying to convince him to get a cochlear implant so he can play his songs again . . .and enjoy them like he used to.

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

too funny!!! yea i bought some BK toys for Andrew to trade in the candy for. and we did a neat treausure hunt to find them. fill you in later but it involved reading 'issues' due to in attention.. it was a good exercise. very blogable. will have to do that.. NO TIME!

elizabeth embracing life said...

Our family represents lots of musicians and Ethan has access to a number of instraments (guitar, mandolin, piano, violin, trumpet..you get the picture) Perhaps these boys can meet up and be the first boys band to hit the tours only to be defined by teen idols as the best musicians ever....and they are deaf?